The gender revolution fight is over, and the new gender ideology has won.
I don't mean we should give up, so to speak. I certainly do not mean we should jettison a biblical understanding of sexuality, and I don't mean we shouldn't speak this truth in love.
I mean: the idea gender is fluid and socially constructed (i.e., immutable, binary biological sex does not exist) is now America's culturally accepted norm. It's a done deal.
Most intellectuals/academics, elite opinion influencers, corporate, and government leaders embrace the new view without question.
Anyone who raises doubts, let alone rejects the new gender ideology, will or can be socially ostracized, cyber bullied, or "cancelled" in the form of a lost job, professional standing, or ruined career.
The cultural paradigm shift from traditional or religious views of sexuality to the new progressive gender ideology has been remarkably swift and thorough.
The SOGI (sexual orientation and gender identity) narrative is now a given.
Consider these developments:
o "On his very first day as President, on 20 January 2021, President Biden issued an 'Executive Order on Preventing and Combating Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation.'"
"Relying on precedence set in the Supreme Court's Bostock v. Clayton County case, President Biden's Executive Order provides that for purposes of Title IX and its implementing regulations, the prohibition of discrimination based on sex includes gender identity or sexual orientation."
- The Biden administration announced that the Department of State would begin to issue passports with an "X" gender marker without requiring medical documentation.
- The American Medical Association now recommends a child's sex designation be omitted from birth certificates.
- "The New England Journal of Medicine has published a paper that argues since sex designations on birth certificates could emotionally hurt transgender and intersex people, the information should not appear on the document."
- "The states issuing IDs with a third gender option are leading the way toward a national, federally recognized third gender option."
- "Arkansas' policy on non-binary IDs has been in place since 2010...when the state's assistant commissioner of operations and administration directed state workers to 'allow a licensee to change their gender as requested, no questions asked, no documentation required.'"
- "Similar policies regarding a third gender option on state-issued ID cards have since been implemented in California, Colorado, Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Nevada, Utah, and Washington D.C."
- "New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced a third-gender option on all city-issued identification cards in an effort 'to further our commitment to justice and access for all transgender, non-binary, and gender non-conforming New Yorkers.'"
- In California school districts, "it only takes a 'health worker' to validate a child's gender identity. Age is not a factor and neither is a parent's opinion...once a health worker verifies a child's gender identity, school districts cannot question it. Teachers must use the child's preferred pronoun."
- A middle school in Loudon County, VA, has decided to remove "male" and "female" signs from its bathrooms and is now removing the urinals from boys' bathrooms because a few biological females, who identify as males, are offended by the presence of urinals.
- "More and more universities are adopting chosen name and preferred pronoun policies, an act that's inclusive of transgender and nonbinary students."
- "Pronoun Guidance" is emerging as a standard section in university academic and student development handbooks.
- Youth are concluding their emails with pronoun lists, like "they/them/their," etc., to inform people about their gender identity.
- The new, acceptable way to greet people is to say, "Hi, I'm Rex. I understand your name is John. What is your preferred pronoun?"
- Official forms in some states already include the following re personal data: Man – Woman – Non-binary – I elect not to self-identify at this time.
- "Millennials are more than twice as likely to identify as LGBTQ (at a rate of 20 percent) than previous generations. 56 percent of Generation Z...know someone who uses gender neutral pronouns—a significant increase from previous generations."
- In Irreversible Damage, Abigail Shirer notes teenagers spend up to nine hours a day on the internet where "unaccountable strangers happily furnish sexual identity guidance."
- Schools across America increasingly teaching students not to see themselves as not entirely one sex. CA, NJ, CO, IL mandated LGBTQ history taught in schools.
- "In schools across America, kindergartners are taught that biological sex and gender very often come apart; one has no essential connection to another."
- ACLU, Planned Parenthood, others routinely brought in to lecture on sexual orientation and gender. They supply curriculum.
- Schools function like an LGBTQ safe house framed with moral superiority and greased with civil rights.
- "Virtually everything that transgender activists hope to achieve in the broader culture has already been achieved on the college campus" (emphasis added).
- USC offers instructions on how to adopt a different name, i.e., identity, and University of Pennsylvania website provides a "Preferred Name Change Form" and won't tell parents.
- Over 100 universities now cover transgender hormones in their health plans. At least 87 cover sex change surgeries.
- Business and organizational corporate training and policy are now thoroughly immersed in LGBTQ+ values in the mantra of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
This is but a smattering of evidence. There's more in entertainment and media, sports at all levels, foundations and nonprofit organizations, government and the U.S. military, even religion.
It's not too strong a comment to say the mantra "diversity, equity, and inclusion"—words that can be unpacked with some positive meaning—now primarily function as code words for sexual orientation and gender identity.
The values represented by the gender revolution have taken American culture by storm. SOGI is virtually a new religion.
Even among Christian young adults, in the past twenty years, LGBTQ lifestyles have rapidly become morally acceptable.
These beliefs, values, and behaviors are now be rooted in American culture. SOGI lifestyles are here to stay. American culture is not going to go back to the way we were.
But this extensive gender revolution is still based upon falsehood, unreality, irrationality, or more bluntly, lies.
This is reaping consequences in people's lives, and it's going to reap far more.
- As more Americans base their lives upon the biological untruths of SOGI lifestyles, we can expect more personal emotional crises, broken families, homes, and lives.
- We can anticipate more unhappy people filled with anxiety – like the stories now circulating of coeds being asked by professors on university campuses about their "PGPs" – preferred gender pronouns – only to have them fall apart in tears saying they don't know. They're buckling under the neurotic pressure of the bill of goods their culture is selling them.
- As more Americans embrace the new gender ideology, more will reject biblical Christianity because the Scripture's revelation does not leave room for SOGI experimentation.
Christians now live in what's been called a pluralistic "post-Christian" culture, meaning Judeo-Christian values are barely referenced, much less considered foundational. To use George Barna's phrase, Americans are following after a vague Moralistic Therapeutic Deism that rejects right/wrong as judgmentalism and intolerance.
So, as Christians minister to individuals supporting or embracing some aspect of the SOGI lifestyle, appeals to authority, i.e., the Scripture, are not as likely to be effective, because current culture simply does not acknowledge this objective Christian truth.
This means relationships – being authentic, "being real" – are going to increase in importance.
It's the old, "They don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." We must earn the right to speak the truth with love.
This is more challenging, and it takes longer.
But remember no person trapped in SOGI mythology is beyond the reach of the Holy Spirit of God.
We, therefore, must, "Let our conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that (we) may know how to answer everyone" (Col. 4:6).
Dr. Rex M. Rogers, President SAT-7 USA,
- Next Article: Hope Network receives suicide prevention grant
- Prev. Article: Present-Day False Prophets Undermine Church and Culture